Thursday, August 8, 2013

POST #1

8 August 2013 - East Millinocket, Maine
We have been off the grid again and have just hit an area I can do a post. Following are all the updates I have written (but not been able to post) since 31 July. I am already up to over a hundred pictures and a movie or two so I have actually busted them into 4 posts so be sure to read them all! It's a lot! Happy reading!

31 July 2013 - Lily Bay Pond
As I said in the last post (over a week ago!), once we got back to Greenville we spent 24 hours getting restocked. Laundry was done; groceries were purchased; spaghetti sauce was made; muffins were baked; burgers were pressed; food was frozen; showers were taken; bills were paid... In between all of that we did manage to buy a new kayak and go for an outing.

Trox had made a ride a week ago up North road loop which ended up at Big Indian Pond - note that BIG Indian Pond is much SMALLER than just Indian Pond. We decided that was a good place to take the kayak for its first outing so we loaded it up and took off.

I was the first one out and the sky kept changing from blue with pretty fluffy clouds to BLACK so I stayed pretty close to the shore but I made it all the way around. Furthest I've paddled so far - a little over 3 miles!
Pretty little cove with a house
and nice sandy beach

When the water was like this and the clouds
were fluffy I wandered a little further out

Neither Trox nor I have much experience with kayaks and so we watched some training videos on the computer and both tried some of the techniques we had seen. I think the ones I tried really helped. But the fact that this paddle is much lighter than the rental and the kayak is longer helped also.
LtoR ... TtoB
hmmmm my left hand is too close in - no wonder I go in circles!
GOOD posture but that left hand still needs to be out more.
adjusting everything before leaving
trying the feathered paddles

While I was out Trox went in search of flora and fauna. He found some interesting things.
Actually he found these irises in the Moxie Bog
on our way back to Greenville the other day

Green Comma
Polygonia faunus
The underside is charcoal gray
sighting detail found here

Once-married Underwing
Catocala unijuga
sighting detail found here
gorgeous with wings spread
see here

On his kayak ride he also found some fauna - do fowl count as fauna?
Common Goldeneye babies

Common Goldeneye
Mother and 4 babies
These are a diving bird

This morning (Wednesday) we broke camp and headed out again. We had been staying at Moosehead Family Campground which is where we stayed when we first arrived in Greenville. It is a really nice place - quiet and the sites are big and private. The folks that run it - Lil & Bob - are great and both are real friendly and helpful. Not sure what I would have done without Lil's freezer as ours is just too small to freeze everything in a timely fashion. She let me prep everything and freeze it in her big deep freeze! Look them up if you are ever in Greenville.
Our campsite at Moosehead Family Campground

When we left we didn't go far (20 miles or so) and ended up in Lily Bay State Park in a site right on a cove where we can launch the kayak from our site. It was a little windy so I set a chair up next to the water and Trox went for a ride. While I was sitting in the chair a Mommy duck brought her brood up to visit. They got within inches of me - it was lots of fun.

They were Blue-Winged-Teal Ducks which we have seen lots of so far but these were much more brown than the others we have seen. And interestingly, Momma had a band on her leg
Mommy and 5 little ones!
They are Blue-winged-Teal Ducks
These guys are surface feeders and don't dive

Most of the roads we have been driving on around Greenville are logging roads. Coming back from Little Austin Pond the other day we happened upon a bunch of big logging rigs parked on the side of the road.
Take a look at those tires!
Now those are what I call chains!

OH! The wind stopped and the water calmed down so I went out in the kayak. We are camped on a Rowell Cove which is on the Moosehead Lake. The cove is bigger than Big Indian Pond! I kayaked some of the perimeter of the cove and got about 2 miles in. Headed back because the sun was close to setting.
Spotted this paddle boarder

This is a BIG cove!

Just sitting waiting for the sun to go down

Trox snapped this shot from the shore

Anyone wondering where we put the kayak while going down the road? Take a look!
Makes it difficult to get in the frig!

We need to get a bigger toy room!

No comments:

Post a Comment